Friday, November 19, 2004

Well...7 more days of class and 26 days until graduation!!!!

Just to share a personal note and to be completely honest with something that has struck me hard. {An excerpt from my journal}

It seems as much as I try to not be swayed by this world, I still am. BCM is having an all night worship thing tonight. My first thought was "that's a stupid idea" Why? because BCM is doing it. That was my only reason for thinking that. And I joined in with some other people when they said it was stupid. (I don't know their reasoning.) But a good friend was true to himself and to God and he didn't give into us and said that it sounded like an awesome time. And then I thought, "you know...it really does sound like an awesome time." I have been waiting for this and it sounds amazing. Good for my friend-bad me.

So as much as I try to not be swayed by people's opinions and pressure and prejudice, I still am. I hate that. Why am I so easily swayed. I'm working on it and with God's help I will overcome.

Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10
On another note...Jacob and I leave for Pensacola this morning to see our dear friends, Buck and Rachel Buhler! We are so excited. I know I haven't seen them since they got married almost 2 years ago. We are going to have an awesome weekend. And then when I come back from the weekend there will be my best friend of 10 years whom I haven't seen in a year waiting for me at my house! What blessings!
And...really quick. Last night my home group met at Chris' house for dinner and then we went to the Pickin' Parlor. It's this totally southern, country joint in which people play really old time fiddle-type music. There are people up there with banjos, mandolins, guitars, and the works. Try and imagine it. It's on this road out in the country and what looks like something the Clampets would live has a neon sign over it screaming "Pickin' Parlor" in flourescent pink. You park wherever you can and we all get out of cars in complete excitement about what this place is going to have for us when we enter. We open the door and enter. The old people is the first thing I notice and the second is the distinct smell of what reminds me of a thrift store that is the age of George Washington. The place is warm and very intimate. The first person to greet us is this "special" man who wants to shake each one of our hands as we walk past. The lady running the joint is very hospitable and tries to find each of us a place to sit. We have doubled the number of people there just by entering. The musicians on stage continue in their jovial tune of some song I could not even try to recognize. The small building is lit with christmas lights around the top and interesting little lamps in every corner. There is coffe and tea and homemade soups and cakes for everyone to enjoy. The stage is covered with a backdrop entailing about 8 Amercan flags and rusted aluminum whatevers hanging around it. There are about three older men playing the guitar, another older gentleman playing the banjo, an older lady playing the mandolin, and younger girl in the back playing the bass. (This younger girl looked as if she must have been paid to be there, she definitely didn't look as though it were her choice.) Those men and women were joined by about eight other people on the floor with their own guitars and some people had traveled as far as Nashville to play that night. The music was joyful and fun and made you want to get on your feet and dance with a partner. It was a great time and a great place to take friends, especially ones not from the south.:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home