Monday, December 19, 2005

All the sugar you can drink!

So I'm back home again for the last time in 2005 and for the last time in a long while. I flew into Charleston, SC Thursday night. It took them an hour to get my luggage off the plane. I mean really!

Friday morning was the Bridal Brunch at a yummy restaurant on Queen St. called Poogan's Porch. I had the best french toast I've ever put in my mouth along with the best cheese grits. I also had buttermilk biscuits, sweet tea, bacon and eggs. Others who didn't choose the french toast got shrimp and grits with poached eggs. Also very good shrimp and grits!

The afternoon was spent shopping for deals, which I found! And that evening we had the rehearsal and then the rehearsal dinner at the Crab Shack. Fried shrimp with hush puppies, corn on the cob, and potatoes with yummy sweet tea!

Saturday morning started off with breakfast at Starbucks as well as a walk around the city to burn off that! Then we had to be at the church downtown for pictures. Everyone was running late, of course and we didn't get to the church on time. My sweet daddy took me, all the bridesmaids and the bride to the church. He was so sweet to be patient and endure us. I also managed to run into a friend from high school who was also getting married that eveing. Small world!

I was given the privelage of reading 1 Corinthians 13 during the wedding ceremony. I don't think anyone was listening or paying attention though. All the bridesmaids were whispering while I was reading because the maid of honor had forgotten the wedding ring. So as soon as I got done reading they sent me running down the aisle to go look for the ring. It's all on video too! But I found it and we played "pass the ring" up the aisles and through each bridesmaid all the way to the maid of honor. It made for a funny moment!

The reception by far had the best food I've ever eaten at a reception. You have to remember we're in the South and on the coast. We had crab cakes, boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce, spinach/artichoke dip, meatballs, chicken on skewers, some other stuff, and THE BEST SHRIMP AND GRITS I'VE EVER EATEN, EVER!!!!!! I think I had three helpings of the shrimp and grits. The lady who was making them was making them right there and they brought her in just to make them. They were delicious!

There was some dancing, to which I didn't partake much of. But my mom! I don't know what got into her, maybe a little too much champayne! She was so funny! She was dancing out there with my other crazy aunts and my cousins and just breakin' it down best she could! It was great!

I think the best part of the whole weekend was seeing all the family together and having a great time. My Aunt Martha from Augusta came up. She's my grandmother's sister. It was great to have her there because we haven't seen her since my grandmother's funeral 7 years ago. And it was like she was representing Grandmama. Aunt Martha looks like her and acts like her and gives my Pop-Pop stupid looks like my Grandmama used to do:) It made all the grandkids cry just seeing her walk down the aisle with the seating of the grandmothers and watch her sit where Grandmama would have sat had she been here. It was nice.

I also had a great conversation with my mother on the drive back to NC yesterday. She was telling me all about her family history, which was so fascinating. She was telling me that her grandfather, Jasper McDaniel, used to serve in the House of Representatives with Strom Thurmond and they used to be good friends. There's so much more, but it would take me forever, and you really don't care. But it was so neat to hear all about it. Now I wish I had talked to my Grandmama more about her life as a child and learned more about it. But I'm planning on going to visit Aunt Martha when I can.

So I'm home now and drinking sweet tea way too much! I'm doing a little more Christmas shopping today with my friend, Ruthanne. I'm excited to spend time with her and laugh our heads off, which we always do!

Well, happy trails to you! (It goes with a tune.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home