Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pondering

I went to my sister's church this morning. It's a pentacostal church. My first time there. My second time at a Pentacostal church; interesting. They had a guest speaker this morning who stressed twice that he was a "Pentacostal" preacher and everyone cheered. That really bothered me. Honestly, it bothers me when people do that no matter what denomination they are. I'm just tired of denominations.

With all the traveling I've done all over the world and the many cultural churches I've darkened the doorsteps of, I haven't witnessed denominations like I do here.

It got me thinking of the Acts 2 church and the other churches I've seen. You know, they don't have denominations, why do we?

I look at the beleivers in Africa, India, China, Cambodia, etc. They don't know or care about those little doctrinal issues. I have to wonder, how important are they really? In the light of things that are much more important, where do they fall? I imagine them falling in importance somewhere near the importance of the color carpet in the santuary. Just not really.

And I know that some of you will greatly disagree with this and quite frankly I don't care. I don't want to know either. All I can see are the hindrances denominations bring and the walls that have been put up because of them and it puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Why is it when I'm having dinner with other believers and this is our firts encounter, they ask what type of church I go to? Like we're different. As you soon as you let others know, there's automatically a barrier to an intimate relationship. It's true.

I've loved the churches I've attended. I think in the future I'm going to be more careful on this subject. Let's all just refer to ourselves as Christ followers or believers, not as Baptists, Pentacostals, Presbyterians, etc. Who cares anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home